GCI PowerTools for Deployments
Do you need to transfer objects between your OpenText Content Server environments in a safe, efficient, and error-free manner? Do you need to move items from one version of Content Server to another? And would you like to do all this using a simple, web-based UI with no need to create complex migration scripts?
Powerful, yet simple, object export and import
GCI PowerTools for Deployments solves your transport challenges by extracting and packaging selected content structures into a set of XML archives. These can be moved to a new environment and re-imported to recreate the entire structure in the new Content Server instance within minutes.
Being designed exclusively for Content Server, PowerTools for Deployments ensures that objects are imported in the correct order, with dependent objects being created first. PowerTools for Deployments also provides an option to maintain object audit trails and permissions between Content Server instances.
Migrate workflow maps, forms and templates from one Content Server instance to another
As well as basic item transfers, PowerTools for Deployments is also able to handle more complex objects such as forms and form templates. These can be exported and re-imported maintaining not only the form and template relationships, but also any underlying database tables and data.
PowerTools for Deployments also solves the problem of moving workflow maps from one system to another. Maps are updated during import and all form, category, performer, WebReport, and attachment relationships are updated and maintained.
Test and troubleshoot problematic Content Server objects in safety
PowerTools for Deployments also facilitates the process of testing and troubleshooting problematic objects within Content. Problem objects can now be exported and readily transported to a dedicated technical support environment where they can be easily recreated and tested in isolation.
GCI PowerTools for Deployments is the most robust, mature, and comprehensive solution available for managing the transfer of content between your Content Server instances.
PowerTools for Deployments FAQs
- We update if needed otherwise, no change.
not at the destination
- Creates as part of the import process.
Yes and categories are updated if needed in the new environment.
Yes and ActiveViews are updated if needed in the new environment.
e.g. Suppose I export folder ExxonMobil, and ExxonMobil:TES-DMS from ACC with permissions of reading by the XXX group. In PROD I have the same folders created but without this permission. May I import it and apply the permission to the folders and trigger inheritance update to the contained objects?
- Yes and folder structures are updated if needed in the new environment.
- Select either Source or Destination permissions adoption.
- Note, if the XXX Group exists in the destination, we’ll update. If XXX Group doesn’t exist, you can include the Group in your Export and we’ll create it on Import.
If it doesn’t exist we add; if does exist we update.
Yes, including referential integrity (LiveReports for example are updated).
Will be updated so long as the reference exists in the destination or is a part of the export (it will then be created upon import).
- As long as they’re part of the import (they were exported) they’ll get imported into the destination system.
- As long as it’s ID is part of the IDMap, it’ll be imported correctly and referential integrity will be maintained.
Make sure that the connection is a part of the import – in that case, it’ll be imported into the destination system and created.
E.g: We have a folder with 20 WebReports, 18 LiveReports which have a bulk import process. We would like to create a new bulk import based on the existing by copying the WebReports and LiveReports to folder2.
- Yes, this is was GCI PowerTools for Deployments does.
Yes. Do this with the correct import order.
Maybe generating an execution plan?
- No. It is single threaded.
In the frontend server? admin server?
- Admin Server is recommended.
Which user (e.g. need to log in as Admin user)?
- Must be a userid with Administrator privileges.
Ask Tom for 4 mil objects reference.
- Yes a progress bar is displayed and the audit log and error log contain the details.
- Search for “failed”.
- Workflow, LiveReports, Forms & Form Templates, Custom Views, Aliases, Text Documents, WebReports, ActiveViews, Project Templates, Search Templates, WikiPages, etc.
- Also updates text strings, “Dev Environment” to “Production Environment”.